Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Food for Thought



After watching this hilarious video about differentiated instruction in action, I couldn't help but scroll down and read a few comments. It was there that I saw some idiot person post, in response to others, "Somehow you have all missed the point. [This video about] parts of speech is just an example being used to illustrate the absurdity of differentiating teaching instruction." *gags*

Although I would agree that this video is poking fun at the concept, I don't believe that there is anything absurd about differentiating instruction. For those who are unfamiliar with this term, it is essentially the practice of providing students with different ways to acquire and comprehend knowledge.

I don't see anything absurd about that.

Any thoughts on the subject?

1 comment:

  1. This video's great! I don't think it's making fun of differentiated instruction as much as it is the principals and school boards who are on the teachers' backs. It seems that it's saying that no matter what crazy/interesting lesson ideas a teacher comes up with (such as pudding murals or knife-throwing) it won't be enough if the test scores aren't up to par. Almost like teachers just constantly jump through hoops.

    Now, the person who made the comment seems to think differently, and I completely disagree with him. I think he missed the point. Differentiated instruction is not absurd, it's a legitimate way to assess students in a variety of ways. What's absurd is the pressure that teachers are under to meet the standards of the state.

    ReplyDelete